Monday, February 18, 2013

The Drummond Diaries: The Great Sphinx

Oct. '72: The Great Sphinx of history staring into the charnel house that the 20th century has become smiles with a different secret these days, and only a few of us see it. That I-have-a-secret look is no longer saying "decode me," but rather: will there be a future for humanity at all?

Since the last Ice Age whole species of animals have died out and man has gone from a cave-dwelling hunter/gatherer to a builder of monuments and cities. But given the history of the 20th century, what happens now? Pull out all the stops and curse the future?

History moves in "ages." It's had its Age of Faith, Age of Reason, Age of Revolution, and who knows what else. But when the victims of our negligence look back on this era - what with its wars, economic manipulations, destruction of the environment, and scientific negligence - surely they will call it the Age of Folly.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. Happened across you on Twitter and found your blog. The Ropewalk sounds interesting. I love that you post so many excerpts on your blog to build our intrigue. Visit my blog and follow if you like (:
    www.alittleliterary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly,

    First, I apologize for the extremely long time it's taken for me to respond to your visit. I've been frantically writing both a prequel and a sequel to "The Ropewalk" and have been living in a time bubble.

    I am, however, stepping up my Twitter activity and expect to be announcing further excerpts from the book as well as entries from "The Drummond Diaries." In the meantime I will be visiting your blog and getting acquainted with your work.

    Thanks again for visiting.

    ReplyDelete